Features & Business
The famous Sri Lankan Beetroot curry is a dish that adds to a selection of curries. It has a unique Beetroot flavour and is dark pink in colour.
Total time: 40 minutes
350 g small beetroots cut into cubes
50 g ghee
1 finely chopped large onion
2 small finely chopped green chillies
3 cm piece pandanus leaf
1 sprig curry leaves
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon chilli powder
3 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon caster sugar
200 ml coconut milk
1. Cut the beetroots into 1cm pieces.
2. Heat the ghee in saucepan over medium heat.
3. Cook the onion and green chilli until translucent.
4. Add the pandanus leaf, curry leaves and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
5. Add the other ingredients, cover the pan with a lid and cook the beetroot for about 10 minutes.
6. Once the beetroot is cooked add the milk and cook for a further 10 minutes.
7. Season to taste and serve.